Thursday, February 23, 2012

Worth it?


Think back to all the wonderful pictures I’ve taken of you and your loved ones. Wait….don’t just think about them….go and grab them, thumb through them, then stop to notice the expression on your face. Is it a smile? Ah, I thought so. :) These are not bland, cookie cutter, don’t-even-know-the-photographer’s-name, portrait studio photos. No, no. These are special. Little bits of personality shine from them. My heart has poured into every shot and I love them just as much as you. These photographs are a result of my professionalism and dedication to capturing your “forever” moments. Something tangible that keeps remembering long after we’ve all forgotten. Now ask yourself; was it worth it?

I’ve heard so many times “You should really charge more?” I’d bock and say, “but I feel guilty charging for doing something that I love!” and go on my merry way. Now the reality of being overwhelmed with a schedule so tight that I’m booked months in advance has led me to give up a secure career and risk it all for this dream, for my passion. I’ll be honest; it’s scary.  Never in a million years did I ever dream this would happen, that this little hidden talent I so carefully nurtured would blossom and take on a life of it’s own. You made this happen and I am forever grateful.

One of my favorite things in the whole world is to get home after a shoot and look through all the images; I swear it’s like Christmas morning every time. I take my time, pick out the very best, and make sure every image is “perfect” in my eye before presenting it to you. As you can imagine this takes time, patience, and love for the art.  I enjoy every second of it, but I also need to be realistic. In an effort to understand how much time I really do spend on each photo shoot, I sat down and worked out these numbers. Honestly, it even surprised me and hopefully it will provide some insight for you as well:

·       30-60 minutes photo shoot prep time (scheduling, emailing, equipment checks)
·       30-60 minutes travel time to shoot
·       15-30 minutes prep time at client’s home or studio backdrop and prop prep
·       45-90 minutes with client photographing subject
·       30-60 minutes travel time from shoot
·       30-45 minutes uploading time from cards to computer
·       30-60 minutes culling through images
·       3-5 hours editing time to present you with a diverse gallery of edited images
·       2-4 hours upload time to online gallery
·       30 minutes prepping images and posting them to blog
·       1-2 hours creating custom disc cases
·       30 minutes prep time for package delivery
·       30 minutes getting order shipped
·       30-60 minutes for any additional emailing, phone time or client support

Added up, that’s approximately 10-19 hours spent per client, per shoot. This is an example of a photo shoot with the purchase of the disc (shoot fee + disc = $250), yet all but 3 are often done for the $100 shoot fee alone. It is a common misconception that you are just paying for the 1 to 2 hours of shooting time, but there are numerous other things to consider. The simple fact is that starting and maintaining a photography business, or any business for that matter, is down right expensive. There are equipment costs, studio costs, lab costs, advertising, insurance, education, and (most importantly) purchasing new backdrops and props so that every shoot is new, fresh, and original for you each time.

After all is said and done, I love what I do and love being “the one” you have chosen to capture something so special. This is my livelihood and I don’t ever want to get to that place where I have to spread myself so thin that the quality and personal touches you’ve grown accustomed to diminish. All I ask is that you stick with me, keep sharing the love of your photos, and believe this; it’s definitely worth it. 

~Amber


No comments:

Post a Comment